Spring is here and the weather is getting nicer, which means it’s the perfect time for spring home maintenance projects! Whether you are a property owner or renter, these tips will help to make your home look great and summer ready.
- Clear gutters and downspouts: Over the winter months, it’s likely that your gutters and downspouts have accumulated leaves, dirt and debris. If not cleaned, this debris can cause problems with flooding inside and outside your home (especially when those April showers begin). Carefully remove any debris in the gutters and clear away an exit path for your downspouts to allow rainwater to flow away from your home.
- Fix windows and doors: Just like the gutters, your windows and doors may need some attention. Check all the doors and windows to see that they are sealing properly and not allowing outside air into your home. Look for cracks or holes that may have occurred over the cold winter months. Use weather stripping or caulk to repair any cracks, holes or air flow you notice. Doing this in the Spring will help you out greatly when the warm summer months hit. Also, check to see that your window screens are in place and window locks are working properly. Being able to open your windows in the coming months will be enjoyable and cost effective.
- Paint the walls: There’s no better time to add a fresh coat of paint than when the weather is nice and you can open the windows while doing it. Carve out a weekend to tackle the walls you’ve been wanting to update. It’ll make your home look nicer and cleaner all in one.
- Check air conditioning unit: Nobody wants to realize that their air conditioning unit is not working properly on a day when they really need it. While the weather’s still mild, check your air conditioning unit by turning it on and running it temporarily. If you think there may be an issue, get a professional to come by and check it for you. It’s always better to be safe than sorry!
- Prepare the garden and lawn: Whether you are a gardener or not, take time while the weather is nice to prepare your lawn for summer. Rake away leaves and debris that has accumulated over the winter months. Check your lawn mower to make sure it is still working properly and ready to go for the first lawn mowing of the season. If you are planning to garden, prepare your garden bed for planting by pulling away leaves and laying new mulch or compost.
All of these home maintenance tips are perfect for this time of year. Be sure to tackle them before it’s too late. Spring is also a great time to buy, sell or rent a home! If you have any questions about these tips or if you are interested in buying, selling or renting a home in the Tulsa area, please contact McGraw Realtors Property Management & Leasing today.